EBBA Grants Bibliography
Peer Reviewed Papers – alphabetical by grantee’s last name
- Niederhauser JM, MC Slevin, EG Noonburg, and RC Anderson. (2021). Body size, habitat quality, and territory defense in Bachman’s sparrow, 158(6), 479-502
- Covino KM, RL Holberton, and SR Morris. (2014). Factors influencing migratory decisions made by songbirds on spring stopover. Journal of Avian Biology. 46:73-80.
- Covino KM and B Cooney. (2015). Daytime sleeping behavior observed in a Black-and-white Warbler during spring stopover. Animal Migration. 2(1):44-46.
- Covino KM (2015). Determination of Sex Using Morphometrics in the Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) and Swainson’s Thrush (Catharus ustulatus). The Wilson Journal of Ornithology. 127(4):706-711.
- Covino KM, SR Morris, and FR Moore. (2015). Patterns of testosterone in three Nearctic–Neotropical migratory songbirds during spring passage. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 224:186-193.
- Covino KM, JM Jawor, JF Kelly, and FR Moore. (2016). Overlapping life-history stages in migrating songbirds: variation in circulating testosterone and testosterone production capacity. Journal of Ornithology. 158:203-212.
- Covino KM, JM Jawor, SR Morris, and FR Moore. (2018). Sex-specific hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis sensitivity in migrating songbirds. Hormones and Behavior. 97:112-120.
- Derbyshire R, D Strickland, and DR Norris. (2015). Experimental evidence and 43 years of monitoring data show that food limits reproduction in a food-caching passerine. 96(11):3005-15.
- Derbyshire R, DR Norris, KA Hobson, and D Strickland. (2019). Isotopic spiking and food dye experiments provide evidence that nestling Canada Jays (Perisoreuscanadensis) receive cached food from their parents. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 97(4): 368-375.
- Gómez C, T Larsen, BN Popp, KA Hobson, and CD Cadena. (2018). Assessing seasonal changes in animal diets with stable-isotope analysis of amino acids: a migratory boreal songbird switches diet over its annual cycle. 187:1-13.
- Herbert JA, D Mizrahi, CM Taylor. (2022). Migration tactics and connectivity of a Nearctic-Neotropical migratory shorebird. Journal of Animal Ecology. Doi: 10.1111/1365-2656.13670. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35118651
- Newell-Wohner PJ, CR Foss, and RJ Cooper. (2020). Rusty Blackbird Habitat Selection and Survivorship during Nesting and Post-Fledging. Diversity. 12(6):221.
- Palestis BG. (2018). Low recruitment of Common Terns (Sterna hirundo) in the declining Barnegat Bay population. Seabird. 31:64-74.
- Valero MM, and BG Palestis. (2019). Movements of Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) Chicks from the Nest with Age. Waterbirds. 42(1): 107-111.
- Swayser B, G George, and TL Master. (2019). Brood parasitism of a Hooded Warbler (Setophaga citrina) nest by a cuckoo (Coccyzus) in Pennsylvania. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology. 131(3):647-650.
- Vasseur PL, and PL Leberg. (2015). Effects of habitat edges and nest-site characteristics on Painted Bunting nest success. Journal of Field Ornithology. 86(1): 27-40.
- Vasseur PL, and PL Leberg. (2016). Video Surveillance of Painted Bunting Nests to Determine the Effect of Parental Behavior on Nest Success. Southeastern Naturalist. 15(1):1-11.
- Zenzal TJ, AC Fish, TM Jones, EA Ospina, and FR. Moore. (2013). Observations of Predation and Anti-Predator Behavior of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds During Migratory Stopover. Southeastern Naturalist. 12(4):21-25.
- Zenzal TJ, and FR Moore. (2016). Stopover biology of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris) during autumn migration. The Auk. 133(2):237–250.
- Zenzal TJ, FR Moore, RH Diehl, MP Ward, and JL. Deppe. (2018). Migratory hummingbirds make their own rules: the decision to resume migration along a barrier. Animal Behaviour. 137:215-224.
- Zenzal TJ, AJ Contina, JF Kelly, and FR Moore. (2018). Temporal migration patterns between natal locations of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris) and their Gulf Coast stopover site. Movement Ecology.6:2.
- Zenzal TJ, and FR Moore. (2019). Resource use and defence by Ruby-throated Hummingbirds during stopover. Behaviour. 156(2):131-153.
- Covino KM. (2016). Transition Between Phases of the Annual Cycle: Spring Migration to Breeding in Nearctic-Neotropical Songbirds. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Southern Mississippi.
- Farley-Dawson EA (2017). Factors influencing habitat selection, spatial distribution, and site fidelity in a Neotropical migratory bird, the Veery (Catharus fuscescens). Doctoral Dissertation, Texas Tech University.
- Ferguson SM (2017). Vocal Aggression in the Florida Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma coerulescens): Behavior, Hormones, and the Role of Females. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Memphis.
- Fish AC. (2021). American Woodcock (Scolopax minor) Migration Ecology in Eastern North America. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Maine.
- Frantz MW. (2019). Demographic, spatial, and epigenetic response of the Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla) to shale gas development. Doctoral Dissertation, West Virginia University.
- Herbert JA. (2021), Survival, effects of habitat change, and migratory tactics of Nearctic-Neotropical migratory shorebirds. Doctoral Dissertation, Tulane University.
- Zenzal TJ. (2016). Stopover ecology of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris) during autumn migration. Doctoral Dissertations, University of Southern Mississippi.
- Baillie SK.(2014). Boldness in Response to Predatory Threat and Its Correlation with Reproductive Success in Carolina Chickadees (Poecile Carolinensis). Master’s Thesis, Villanova University.
- Derbyshire R. (2014). Experimental evidence and over forty years of monitoring data show that food limits reproductive success in a boreal food-caching passerine. Master’s Thesis, University of Guelph.
- Gautreaux JM. (2013). Spring Landbird Migration along the Northern Coast of the Gulf of Mexico: MultiScaled Investigation of Stopover Ecology Within an Urbanized Landscape. Master’s Thesis, University of Southern Mississippi.